- to make out the meaning of (poor or partially obliterated writing, etc.): to decipher a hastily scribbled note.
- to discover the meaning of (anything obscure or difficult to trace or understand): to decipher hieroglyphics.
- to interpret by the use of a key, as something written in cipher: to decipher a secret message.
- Obsolete. to depict; portray.
Origin of decipher
Synonyms for decipher
Examples from the Web for undeciphered
Historical Examples of undeciphered
As yet both of these kinds of Nubian writing are undeciphered.
It is more than likely, however, that there are several older ones as yet undeciphered.An Introduction to the Study of the Maya Hieroglyphs
Sylvanus Griswold Morley
There truths of the deepest importance in relation to the history of man still lie recorded in undeciphered annals.The Archaeology and Prehistoric Annals of Scotland
When he read the opening sentence, "Un grand malheur," he refused to read more, and sent it undeciphered to Trochu.Diary of the Besieged Resident in Paris
These undeciphered inscriptions may possibly be found to be vastly more ancient than the towers they adorned.The Gates of India
- to determine the meaning of (something obscure or illegible)
- to convert from code into plain text; decode