[verb uhn-der-lahyn, uhn-der-lahyn; noun uhn-der-lahyn]
- to mark with a line or lines underneath; underscore.
- to indicate the importance of; emphasize, as by stressing or italicizing.
- Printing. a caption under an illustration.
- a line drawn under something; an underscore.
Origin of underline
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to put a line under
- to state forcibly; emphasize or reinforce
- a line underneath, esp under written matter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper