- pertaining to or involving emotion or the emotions.
- subject to or easily affected by emotion: We are an emotional family, given to demonstrations of affection.
- appealing to the emotions: an emotional request for contributions.
- showing or revealing very strong emotions: an emotional scene in a play.
- actuated, effected, or determined by emotion rather than reason: An emotional decision is often a wrong decision.
- governed by emotion: He is in a highly emotional state of mind.
Origin of emotional
Synonyms for emotionalSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for emotional
Related Words for unemotionalreticent, impassive, deadpan, dispassionate, emotionless, laid-back, apathetic, blah, callous, chill, cold, cool, flat, frigid, glacial, hard-boiled, heartless, indifferent, insensitive, listless
Examples from the Web for unemotional
Contemporary Examples of unemotional
Historical Examples of unemotional
And really they're the most unemotional and matter-of-fact couple I ever saw.
I observe the workings of unemotional law and sometimes record them.
And even Willy Bartlett chimed in with an unemotional: "Good work!"The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
His speech was as unemotional and businesslike as when addressing her.A Breath of Prairie and other stories
“If Tempest says so, he probably is,” remarked the unemotional Dicky.Tom, Dick and Harry
Talbot Baines Reed
- lacking in strong feeling
- of, characteristic of, or expressive of emotion
- readily or excessively affected by emotion
- appealing to or arousing emotionan emotional piece of music
- caused, determined, or actuated by emotion rather than reasonan emotional argument