- to render (the female gamete) capable of development by uniting it with the male gamete.
- to fecundate or impregnate (an animal or plant).
- to make fertile; enrich: to fertilize farmland.
- to make productive.
Origin of fertilize
Examples from the Web for unfertilized
Historical Examples of unfertilized
Often the unfertilized ovum is carried away with it, but the two things do not necessarily happen at the same time.The Sex Side of Life
After fertilization the flower droops, to be out of the way of the bees in their visits to the unfertilized blossoms.Wayside and Woodland Trees
Parthenogenesis exists; the unfertilized eggs produced only males (Edmunds, 1954).
Parthenogenesis occurs; the unfertilized eggs produced only males (Flock, 1941).
You quicken an unfertilized egg in vitro and you get a little ball of fur and bone and skin and stem-cells.Makers
- (of an animal, plant, or egg cell) not fertilizedan unfertilized ovum
- to provide (an animal, plant, or egg cell) with sperm or pollen to bring about fertilization
- to supply (soil or water) with mineral and organic nutrients to aid the growth of plants
- to make fertile or productive