- sad; miserable; wretched: Why is she so unhappy?
- unfortunate; unlucky: an unhappy incident.
- unfavorable; inauspicious: an unhappy omen.
- infelicitous; unsuitable: an unhappy choice of words.
- Archaic. causing trouble; reprehensible; troublesome.
Origin of unhappy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for unhappy on Thesaurus.com
1. sorrowful, downcast, cheerless, distressed. 2. hapless. 3. unpropitious. 4. inappropriate, inapt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unhappily
Should it be ever so unhappily, will it be prudence to complain or appeal?
And then unhappily, as I may say, was I at home and present.
For my part, unhappily, I'm consumed by a desire to learn and know.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
Unhappily, there are too many of your breed in that part already.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
What if the Empire should unhappily have been established without his aid?The Fortune of the Rougons
- not joyful; sad or depressed
- unfortunate or wretchedan unhappy fellow
- tactless or inappropriatean unhappy remark
- archaic unfavourable
Word Origin and History for unhappily
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper