- sad; miserable; wretched: Why is she so unhappy?
- unfortunate; unlucky: an unhappy incident.
- unfavorable; inauspicious: an unhappy omen.
- infelicitous; unsuitable: an unhappy choice of words.
- Archaic. causing trouble; reprehensible; troublesome.
Origin of unhappy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for unhappy on Thesaurus.com
1. sorrowful, downcast, cheerless, distressed. 2. hapless. 3. unpropitious. 4. inappropriate, inapt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unhappy
They are mean, unhappy and inspired only by their fatal selfishness.Pope Francis Denounces the Vatican Elite’s 'Spiritual Alzheimer’s'
Barbie Latza Nadeau
December 23, 2014
Jackson had several notable confrontations with cadets who were unhappy with him or who felt he had been unjust.Stonewall Jackson, VMI’s Most Embattled Professor
S. C. Gwynne
November 29, 2014
Finally came the day she told her parents she was too unhappy to return.Drawing on the Memories of Syrian Women
November 26, 2014
Yes, the stock market is booming but overwhelmingly Americans are unhappy with their economic situation—and for good reason.Voters Remind D.C. That the Economy Still Sucks
November 6, 2014
However, Native Americans unhappy about the white settlers pouring into the Ohio Valley were reportedly waiting to attack him.Washington’s Wheeler-Dealer Patriotism
October 31, 2014
And were you as unhappy as you expected to be during this visit?
But, my daughter, why is it that the commands of Phidias would have made you unhappy?
It was this refusal which made Halbert discontented and unhappy.Brave and Bold
“Alack for the unhappy lads; and alack for those who egged them on,” said the priest.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
The unhappy woman, to whom I had specially come, was smitten indeed.
- not joyful; sad or depressed
- unfortunate or wretchedan unhappy fellow
- tactless or inappropriatean unhappy remark
- archaic unfavourable
Word Origin and History for unhappy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper