- supporting, conforming to, or derived from a theory or doctrine about uniformity, especially on the subject of geology.
- Geology. of or relating to the thesis that processes that operated in the remote geological past are not different from those observed now.
- a person who accepts or supports a uniformitarian theory.
Origin of uniformitarian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for uniformitarianism
I have spoken of Uniformitarianism as the doctrine of Hutton and of Lyell.Lay Sermons, Addresses and Reviews
Thomas Henry Huxley
To my mind there appears to be no sort of necessary theoretical antagonism between Catastrophism and Uniformitarianism.
So far as the not-living world is concerned, uniformitarianism lies there, not only in germ, but in blossom and fruit.
And if that is so, uniformitarianism, even as limited by Lyell, has no call to lower its crest.Essays Upon Some Controverted Questions
Thomas H. Huxley
Catastrophism and uniformitarianism are opposite extremes which must be combined and reconciled.
- the concept that the earth's surface was shaped in the past by gradual processes, such as erosion, and by small sudden changes, such as earthquakes, of the type acting today rather than by the sudden divine acts, such as the flood survived by Noah (Genesis 6–8), demanded by the doctrine of catastrophism
- of or relating to uniformitarianism
- of, characterized by, or conforming to uniformity
- a supporter of a theory of uniformity or of uniformitarianism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The theory that all geologic phenomena may be explained as the result of existing forces having operated uniformly from the origin of the Earth to the present time. See Note at Lyell.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.