- existing only in the imagination or fancy; not real; fancied: an imaginary illness; the imaginary animals in the stories of Dr. Seuss.
- Mathematics. imaginary number.
Origin of imaginary
SynonymsSee more synonyms for imaginary on Thesaurus.com
1. fanciful, visionary, shadowy, chimerical, baseless, illusory.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- existing in the imagination; unreal; illusory
- maths involving or containing imaginary numbers. The imaginary part of a complex number, z, is usually written Im z
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unimaginary
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper