- not reasonable or rational; acting at variance with or contrary to reason; not guided by reason or sound judgment; irrational: an unreasonable person.
- not in accordance with practical realities, as attitude or behavior; inappropriate: His Bohemianism was an unreasonable way of life for one so rich.
- excessive, immoderate, or exorbitant; unconscionable: an unreasonable price; unreasonable demands.
- not having the faculty of reason.
Origin of unreasonable
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Wordsbiased, illogical, senseless, preposterous, wrong, stupid, contradictory, absurd, arbitrary, silly, foolish, inconsistent, irrational, unwarranted, undue, excessive, illegitimate, unjust, inordinate, unlawful
Examples from the Web for unreasonable
They are often characterized as benevolent and admirable; when we do the same, we are angry and unreasonable.The Unbearable Whiteness of Protesting
Rawiya Kameir, Judnick Mayard
December 10, 2014
Teague replied: “I have to allow an operator or plugger a way to appeal when he believes our requirements are unreasonable.”Two Texas Regulators Tried to Enforce the Rules. They Were Fired.
David Hasemyer, InsideClimate News
December 9, 2014
It would not be unreasonable to assume Piper might do the same to Litchfield if given the opportunity.Orange Is the New Weeds: The Adventures of Jenji Kohan Across the 8th Dimension
Rich Goldstein, Emily Shire
August 18, 2014
It would not be unreasonable for Virginia's citizens to have a sense of defenselessness as a result.Pressure Builds on Democratic Attorneys General to Quit Fighting Gay Marriage
January 24, 2014
In his opinion, Judge Bernard McGinley said that the ID requirement placed an unreasonable burden on the right to vote.Goodbye (For Now) to Voter ID in Pennsylvania
January 17, 2014
I do not ask you to answer in words—you are past that, and I am not unreasonable.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
Even in my benevolence I was as impatient and unreasonable as a child.Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10)
Why, last night, now, was ever any creature so unreasonable?Joseph Andrews, Vol. 2
To Dr. Eben, the very sight of the child was a bitter and unreasonable pain.Hetty's Strange History
The plural vexed Temple, and he told himself how unreasonable the vexation was.The Incomplete Amorist
- immoderate; excessiveunreasonable demands
- refusing to listen to reason
- lacking reason or judgment