verb (used without object), sank or, often, sunk; sunk or sunk·en; sink·ing.
verb (used with object), sank or, often, sunk; sunk or sunk·en; sink·ing.
- to throw, shoot, hit, or propel (a ball) so that it goes through or into the basket, hole, pocket, etc.: She sank the 10 ball into the side pocket.
- to execute (a stroke or throw) so that the ball goes through or into the basket, hole, pocket, etc.: to sink a putt; to sink a free throw.
- to bite deeply or vigorously.
- to do or enter into with great enthusiasm, concentration, conviction, etc.: to sink my teeth into solving the problem.
Origin of sink
Examples from the Web for unsinkable
My first reaction upon finishing it was to imitate the unsinkable Ursula and begin all over again.
I told you she was unsinkable, if only handled in accordance with the new seamanship.Notes on Life and Letters|Joseph Conrad
Unsinkable—indestructible, she carried as few boats as would satisfy the laws.The Wreck of the Titan|Morgan Robertson
If boats are unsinkable as well as fireproof there is no need of any life-boats at all.Sinking of the Titanic|Various
The plain person is driven to the conclusion that if there are no unsinkable ships there are some unsinkable officials.
Here it is a ship at sea, unsinkable and steady, blown upon by the free winds of all the world.Old Plymouth Trails|Winthrop Packard
British Dictionary definitions for unsinkable (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for unsinkable (2 of 2)
verb sinks, sinking, sank, sunk or sunken
- to invest (money)
- to lose (money) in an unwise or unfortunate investment
Derived Formssinkable, adjective
Word Origin for sink
Science definitions for unsinkable
- See playa.
- See sinkhole.
- A circular depression on the flank of a volcano, caused by the collapse of a volcanic wall.
Idioms and Phrases with unsinkable
In addition to the idioms beginning with sink
- sink in
- sinking feeling, a
- sink one's teeth into
- sink or swim
- sink through the floor
- desert a sinking ship
- enough to sink a ship
- everything but the kitchen sink
- heart sinks