- to go beyond in amount, extent, or degree; be greater than; exceed.
- to go beyond in excellence or achievement; be superior to; excel: He surpassed his brother in sports.
- to be beyond the range or capacity of; transcend: misery that surpasses description.
Origin of surpass
Synonyms for surpassSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unsurpassableextreme, highest, incomparable, maximum, most, paramount, preeminent, significant, superlative, supreme, topmost, towering, transcendent, utmost, uttermost, max, maxi, surpassing
Examples from the Web for unsurpassable
Historical Examples of unsurpassable
Their steadiness, their swiftness and exactitude were unsurpassable.
The famous and unsurpassable Burgundy was served with the roast.The Grand Babylon Hotel
Surely we cannot blame him for wishing to perpetuate what he held to be unsurpassable!Frederick Chopin as a Man and Musician
Few else could have written that unsurpassable lyric, Come into the Garden, Maud.A Day with the Poet Tennyson
At least one of these, reproduced in Plate 31, is an unsurpassable triumph.Chats on Japanese Prints
Arthur Davison Ficke
- to be greater than in degree, extent, etc
- to be superior to in achievement or excellence
- to overstep the limit or range ofthe theory surpasses my comprehension