- not wholesome; unhealthful; deleterious to health or physical or moral well-being: unwholesome food; unwholesome activities.
- not sound in health; unhealthy, especially in appearance; suggestive of disease: an unwholesome pallor.
Origin of unwholesome
Synonyms for unwholesomeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unwholesomedangerous, deleterious, destructive, harmful, lethal, noxious, pernicious, poisonous, rotten, spoiled, toxic, unhealthy, venomous, virulent, insalubrious, contaminated, septic, baneful, corrupt, decayed
Examples from the Web for unwholesome
Contemporary Examples of unwholesome
In an interview this week, Egeland strongly defended the propriety of delivering aid to unwholesome parts of northern Syria.Why Humanitarians Talk to ISIS
October 24, 2014
Conservatives have spent decades fulminating against a gay conspiracy to promote their unwholesome “agenda” in public schools.Hannity's Gay Target
October 8, 2009
Historical Examples of unwholesome
The common but indecent practice of introducing chewed victuals into their mouth, is equally disgusting and unwholesome.
The smell of this mixture is not unwholesome, and may be applied to the finest damask bed without any fear of soiling it.
Where the flour is corrupted, the use of it in every other article of food, will of course be as unwholesome as in that of bread.
As we must eat every day, there is opportunity enough for all things in turn, without attempting any unwholesome composition.
But the theory of your religion is not more unscriptural than its application is unwholesome.The Christian
- detrimental to physical or mental healthan unwholesome climate
- morally harmful or depravedunwholesome practices
- indicative of illness, esp in appearance
- (esp of food) of inferior quality