[verb uhp-deyt, uhp-deyt; noun uhp-deyt]
- to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook.
- Computers. to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).
- to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation.
- an act or instance of updating: to make an update in a financial ledger.
- information or data used in updating.
- an updated version, model, or the like.
Origin of update
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to bring up to date
- the act of updating or something that is updated
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for updatable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper