- an incline going up in the direction of movement.
- an increase or improvement: an upgrade in the year's profit forecast.
- a new version, improved model, etc.: The company is offering an upgrade of its sports sedan.
- an increase or improvement in one's service, accommodations, privileges, or the like: If the ship isn't full we'll receive an upgrade to a deluxe stateroom.
- something, as a piece of equipment, that serves to improve or enhance: a full range of upgrades available for your computer.
- uphill; of, pertaining to, on, or along an upgrade.
- up a slope.
- to promote to a higher grade or rank: He has been upgraded to senior vice president.
- to improve or enhance the quality or value of: to upgrade property by landscaping it.
- to improve the quality, value, effectiveness, or performance of something: Buy this basic computer and upgrade whenever you're ready.
Origin of upgrade
Related Words for upgradeincrease, enhance, promote, boost, raise, better, advance, lift, progress, elevate
Examples from the Web for upgrade
Contemporary Examples of upgrade
The Raptor is also difficult and expensive to maintain and is exceedingly difficult to upgrade.$70 Billion Stealth Jet Finally Flies in Its First War
September 23, 2014
(Free for limited access, upgrade for $15 a month or $80 a year; available for iOS) 2.10 Best Apps to Train Your Brain
June 9, 2014
First, the group is aiming to “upgrade” legislative seats currently held by Republicans.With Incumbents To Protect, The Tea Party Is Now Playing Defense
March 20, 2014
So there you have it—three simple, easy-to-use programs that biohackers use to upgrade their performance every day.These 3 Apps Will Help You Sleep Better, Feel Great, and Eat Well
December 18, 2013
Last month Jordan asked for surveillance airplanes and intelligence assistance to upgrade security on its border with Syria.Assad’s Threats Aren’t Just Trash Talk
September 10, 2013
Historical Examples of upgrade
That valley led into another with an upgrade, rocky and treacherous.The U.P. Trail
Stocks opened the year very strong; the markets are upon an upgrade.The President
Alfred Henry Lewis
We have agreed with Bulgaria and Hungary to upgrade our legations to embassies.
But our fundamental goals must be to reduce dependency and upgrade the dignity of those who are infirm or disadvantaged.
With a grinding roar, the motor struck the upgrade and came looming up the tunnel, filling it with its bulk.Atlantic Narratives
- to assign or promote (a person or job) to a higher professional rank or position
- to raise in value, importance, esteem, etc
- to improve (a breed of livestock) by crossing with a better strain
- US and Canadian an upward slope
- on the upgrade improving or progressing, as in importance, status, health, etc
- US and Canadian going or sloping upwards
- US and Canadian up an incline, hill, or slope