- an ancient Sumerian city on the Euphrates, in S Iraq: extensive excavations, especially of royal tombs.
- variant of uro-1: uranalysis.
- variant of uro-2 before a vowel: urite.
- a combining form meaning “earliest, original,” used in words denoting the primal stage of a historical or cultural entity or phenomenon: ur-civilization; urtext.
Origin of ur-3
Examples from the Web for ur
Contemporary Examples of ur
God is said to have summoned Abraham from Ur, now in Southern Iraq.Saddam’s Jewish Treasures
February 8, 2014
Earlier in the day he had posted a photo of himself showing off his abs with the note “Ur turn.”Justin Bieber Freaks Out Over Grammys, Feuds With the Black Keys
February 13, 2013
As one wrote to an external trader, “Duuuude… whats up with ur guys 34.5 3m fix…tell him to get it up!!”Barclays Settlement: The Worst of the Emails
July 5, 2012
Think of it as the Ur moment that led us to a world of Baby Bjorn baby carriers and Happiest Baby on the Block DVDs.'What to Expect When You’re Expecting': The Movie and the Book’s Heidi Murkoff
May 18, 2012
In pop music, “Ur So Gay,” to quote a Katy Perry song, is as big an insult as you can get.My Music Isn’t Too Gay!
Sir Ari Gold
June 26, 2011
Historical Examples of ur
"I'll be in town a week ur two," said the old man, at parting.The Mystery of Murray Davenport
Robert Neilson Stephens
Thot's phwat we will, ur we'll turrun th' ould mountain over!Frank Merriwell Down South
Burt L. Standish
Ur, as we have seen, was the time-honored seat of the Moon-god.Chaldea
Znade A. Ragozin
Bingani-sar-ali was the son of Naram-Sin, but we do not yet Ur dynasty.
D'ye figger the parson's goin' to preach on swearin' ur gunpowder?A Voice in the Wilderness
Grace Livingston Hill
- an ancient city of Sumer located on a former channel of the Euphrates
- you are
- original, primitiveUrsprache
Word Origin for Ur-
- Variant ofuro-