[yoo r-uh l-al-tey-ik]
- of or relating to the Ural Mountains, on the border between the Russian Federation in Europe and Siberia, and the Altai Mountains, in S Siberia and NW Mongolia, or the country or peoples around them.
- of or relating to Ural-Altaic.
- speaking a Ural-Altaic language.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ural-altaic
We may at least suspect that the Slavic vowel is not historically unconnected with its Ural-Altaic parallels.Language
Turkish is the westernmost representative of a great group of languages, best known, perhaps, as the Ural-Altaic family.
They belong to the Finnish family, and consequently to the Ural-Altaic division of the human race.
- a postulated group of related languages consisting of the Uralic and Altaic families of languages
- of or relating to this group of languages, characterized by agglutination and vowel harmony
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012