- of, relating to, or resembling Utopia, an idealized imaginary island described in Sir Thomas More's Utopia (1516).
- (usually lowercase) founded upon or involving idealized perfection.
- (usually lowercase) given to impractical or unrealistic schemes of such perfection.
- an inhabitant of Utopia.
- (usually lowercase) an ardent but impractical political or social reformer; visionary; idealist.
Origin of Utopian
Synonyms for UtopianSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for utopiangrandiose, romantic, idealistic, abstract, illusory, fanciful, quixotic, lofty, perfect, arcadian, visionary, hopeful, fantasy, impossible, idealist, dream, airy, ambitious, chimerical, impractical
Examples from the Web for utopian
Contemporary Examples of utopian
Petro Poroshenko proposes a utopian solution to the problem.Putin's 'Peace' In Ukraine
September 5, 2014
“Only in retrospect did we appreciate our good fortune in being part of a utopian experiment in American journalism,” she writes.Gail Sheehy Books Passage to the Past
September 3, 2014
When you were setting out to work on The Giver, what planted the seed for this dark, utopian society?A Trailblazer in YA Dystopian Fiction: An Interview With 'The Giver' Author Lois Lowry
August 12, 2014
He calls the proposal “utopian,” and that is probably generous.How to Think About Economic Inequality After Thomas Piketty
June 8, 2014
An economy that could help us be better than that is possible, not utopian.We Need More Class Traitors: Solving America’s Meritocracy Problem
April 20, 2014
Historical Examples of utopian
And the gentle Utopian Emperor had tried in vain to be killed on the battle-field.My Double Life
The Utopian ideas which I have expressed have in no way the pretension to be new.The Sexual Question
The prudence which teaches one man to be a Whig, will make of another a Utopian.Shelley, Godwin and Their Circle
H. N. Brailsford
But the recital of this Utopian dream was rudely interrupted.Sir Henry Morgan, Buccaneer
Cyrus Townsend Brady
Bob, thus forming his Utopian plans, forgot the tedium of the trail.The Gaunt Gray Wolf
- of or relating to a perfect or ideal existence
- an idealistic social reformer