- arising from, connected with, or transmitted through sexual intercourse, as an infection.
- pertaining to conditions so arising.
- infected with or suffering from a sexually transmitted disease: a venereal patient.
- adapted to the cure of such disease: a venereal remedy.
- of or relating to sexual desire or intercourse.
- serving or tending to excite sexual desire; aphrodisiac.
Origin of venereal
Related Words for venerealreproductive, intimate, erotic, carnal, passionate, sensual, sensuous, wanton, lewd, earthly, amorous, romantic, sexual, obscene, suggestive, steamy, bawdy, seductive, blue, purple
Examples from the Web for venereal
Contemporary Examples of venereal
Conservatives on Twitter howl derisively at these polls as if their purveyors are offering alchemical cures for venereal disease.Michael Tomasky on the Coming Post-Election GOP Freak Out
November 4, 2012
It lists Mike's grandfather, "Dr. D. N. Peschkowsky," as a specialist in venereal disease.An Oscar Winner’s Secret History
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
October 14, 2010
Historical Examples of venereal
There are three kinds of venereal disease, which we will describe in a few words.
There is only one radical cure for venereal diseases; that is not to contract them!
There is another factor to be added—that of venereal disease.
Many husbands are sterile, however, as a result of venereal disease.The Eugenic Marriage, Vol 2 (of 4)
W. Grant Hague
From the absorption of the matter from venereal ulcers and suppurating bones.Zoonomia, Vol. II
- of, relating to, or infected with venereal disease
- (of a disease) transmitted by sexual intercourse
- of, relating to, or involving the genitals
- of or relating to sexual intercourse or erotic desire; aphrodisiac
Word Origin for venereal
Word Origin and History for venereal
early 15c., "of or pertaining to sexual desire or intercourse," from Latin venereus, from venus (genitive veneris) "sexual love, sexual desire" (see Venus). Used of sexually transmitted diseases from 1650s.
- Transmitted by sexual intercourse.
- Of or relating to a sexually transmitted disease.
- Of or relating to sexual intercourse.
- Of or relating to the genitals.