Origin of ventral
Related Words for ventralvisceral, intestinal, abdominal, leading, frontal, belly, anterior, advance, head, fore, front, facial, obverse, forward, advanced, first, stomachic, alimentary, gut, inner
Examples from the Web for ventral
Historical Examples of ventral
Urite: an abdominal segment and, specifically, its ventral portion.
Ventral chain: refers to the series of ganglia of the nervous system.
Ventri-meson: the middle line of the ventral surface of the body.
Do not cut off the ventral fin on the side which is to be displayed.Home Taxidermy for Pleasure and Profit
Albert B. Farnham
The distance from node to node in a vibrating body is called a ventral segment.How it Works
- relating to the front part of the body; towards the bellyCompare dorsal
- of, relating to, or situated on the upper or inner side of a plant organ, esp a leaf, that is facing the axis
Word Origin for ventral
1739, from French ventral, from Late Latin ventralis "of or pertaining to the belly or stomach," from Latin venter (genitive ventris) "belly, paunch," from PIE *wend-tri- (cf. Latin vesica "bladder," Sanskrit vastih "bladder," Old High German wanast, German wanst "paunch, belly").
- Relating to or situated on or close to the abdomen; abdominal.
- Relating to or situated on or close to the anterior aspect of the body.
- Relating to or on the front or lower surface of an animal.