- a city in and the capital of Yvelines, in N France, about 12 miles (19 km) SW of Paris: palace of the French kings; peace treaty between the Allies and Germany 1919.
- a department in N France. 877 sq. mi. (2271 sq. km). Capital: Versailles.
Examples from the Web for versailles
Contemporary Examples of versailles
The other sprawled over two countries and included dinner at Versailles.Which of Kim Kardashian’s Weddings Was More Ridiculous?
May 27, 2014
Online is reporting that the nuptials will take place in Versailles.Renaissance Wedding Bells for Kim Kardashian and Kanye West?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
May 17, 2014
Rumors spread that the couple was also searching for the perfect wedding venue—could it be the Palace of Versailles?Dasha Zhukova Poses on a Naked Black Woman; Kim Kardashion Tours Museum with Azzedine Alaia
The Fashion Beast Team
January 21, 2014
The Treaty of Versailles mentioned only four works of cultural heritage, foremost among them The Ghent Altarpiece.Hitler’s Hunt for the Holy Grail and the Ghent Altarpiece
December 21, 2013
The band, meanwhile, would often go to their local record store in Versailles to look for potential sources of inspiration.Phoenix on New Album ‘Bankrupt!’ and Journey to Rock Superstardom
April 22, 2013
Historical Examples of versailles
On the morrow, Durochat was transferred to Versailles, where he was to be judged.
It was perhaps three or four years after the turning-point at Versailles.
It was with a lady whom I met but that once, within a year or two after my experience at Versailles.
They were afraid that the passengers were taking newspapers to Versailles.
Sometimes I would go as far as Versailles, but this was not without danger.
- a city in N central France, near Paris: site of an elaborate royal residence built for Louis XIV; seat of the French kings (1682–1789). Pop: 85 726 (1999)
- Treaty of Versailles
- the treaty of 1919 imposed upon Germany by the Allies (except for the US and the Soviet Union): the most important of the five peace treaties that concluded World War I
- another name for (the Treaty of) Paris of 1783See Paris 1 (def. 1)
- a department of N France, in Île de France region. Capital: Versailles. Pop: 1 370 443 (2003 est). Area: 2271 sq km (886 sq miles)
of uncertain origin; perhaps from Latin versus "slope." Originally a hunting lodge built by Louis XIII; made into a palace 17c. by Louis XIV.