- a substitute, deputy, or subordinate chancellor.
- a chancery judge acting in place of a chancellor.
- the chief administrator of certain British universities.Compare chancellor(def 7).
Origin of vice-chancellor
late Middle English word dating back to 1400–50
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the chief executive or administrator at some British universitiesCompare chancellor (def. 3)
- (in the US) a judge in courts of equity subordinate to the chancellor
- (formerly in England) a senior judge of the court of Chancery who acted as assistant to the Lord Chancellor
- a person serving as the deputy of a chancellor
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012