- German Wien. a port in and the capital of Austria, in the NE part, on the Danube.
- a city in NE Virginia.
- a town in W West Virginia.
- a republic in central Europe. 32,381 sq. mi. (83,865 sq. km). Capital: Vienna.
Examples from the Web for vienna
Shin eventually escaped North Korean captivity while in Vienna.Propaganda, Protest, and Poisonous Vipers: The Cinema War in Korea
December 30, 2014
But if the current Vienna talks fail, then all bets are off.Iran Nuke Deal: A Matter of War or Peace
November 23, 2014
As talks get underway again in Vienna, many voices are raised against them on Capitol Hill and abroad.It’s Time to Nail the Iran Nuke Deal
Rep. Rush Holt, Kate Gould
October 15, 2014
But for now the main channel for U.S.-Iran talks are the nuclear negotiations in Vienna, Austria.U.S. and Iran Hit ISIS, Ignore Each Other
August 26, 2014
In April, two Austrian girls, aged 15 and 16, went missing in Vienna and resurfaced in Syria.The ISIS Online Campaign Luring Western Girls to Jihad
August 6, 2014
Vienna has had her share in the general improvement of the Continent.
In Vienna, L. 11,000 a-year is equal to twice the sum in England.
The Marquis found Vienna less gay than it was on his former visit.
The only consolation for leaving Paris is that one is going to Vienna.The Incomplete Amorist
I then asked him who in Vienna knew most about explosives, and he gave me your address.Jennie Baxter, Journalist
- the capital and the smallest state of Austria, in the northeast on the River Danube: seat of the Hapsburgs (1278-1918); residence of the Holy Roman Emperor (1558–1806); withstood sieges by Turks in 1529 and 1683; political and cultural centre in the 18th and 19th centuries, having associations with many composers; university (1365). Pop: 1 590 242 (2003 est). Area: 1075 sq km (415 sq miles)German name: Wien Latin name: Vindobona
- a republic in central Europe: ruled by the Hapsburgs from 1282 to 1918; formed a dual monarchy with Hungary in 1867 and became a republic in 1919; a member of the European Union; contains part of the Alps, the Danube basin in the east, and extensive forests. Official language: German. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: euro. Capital: Vienna. Pop: 8 221 646 (2013 est). Area: 83 849 sq km (32 374 sq miles)German name: Österreich
Word Origin and History for vienna
Roman Vindobona, from Celtic vindo "white" + bona "foundation, fort." The "white" might be a reference to the river flowing through it.