- covered with or of the nature of villi.
- having villiform processes.
- Botany. pubescent with long and soft hairs that are not interwoven.
Origin of villous
Related Words for villousfurry, shaggy, woolly, fuzzy, unshaven, hirsute, bearded, bristly, bushy, downy, fleecy, flocculent, fluffy, rough, tufted, bewhiskered, lanate, pileous, piliferous, pubescent
Examples from the Web for villous
Historical Examples of villous
The stem is compressed and villous, often channelled, nearly erect.
The pileus is somewhat coriaceous, firm, pulvinate, villous.
The callus of the third glume is short, pointed and villous.A Handbook of Some South Indian Grasses
Rai Bahadur K. Ranga Achariyar
The pistillum is similarly dotted; the labellum internally striated, trifid, and villous at the apex.
The villous processes and fringes may take on an exaggerated growth, and give rise to pedunculated and other forms of loose body.
- (of plant parts) covered with long hairs
- of, relating to, or having villi
Word Origin for villous
- Of, relating to, resembling, or covered with villi.