- the state or fact of being visible.
- the relative ability to be seen under given conditions of distance, light, atmosphere, etc.: low visibility due to fog.
- Also called visual range. Meteorology. the distance at which a given standard object can be seen and identified with the unaided eye.
- the ability to give a relatively large range of unobstructed vision: a windshield with good visibility.
- Typography. legibility(def 2).
Origin of visibility
Examples from the Web for visibility
This is a problem because, as the gay rights movement has shown, visibility helps—a lot.
Christina, who writes about these issues frequently at her website, says that the importance of visibility is a major concern.
Asked how she would continue to fight injustice, Byarugaba argued that visibility was a weapon of its own.At Women in the World, the Reality of Uganda’s Brutal Gay Ban
March 15, 2014
The visibility in Shenyang, the capital of Liaoning Province, was measured at less than 656 feet.Smog Overtakes North-Eastern China
October 21, 2013
Why not, one might ask, given the drama and visibility of intra-party fighting in Likud, Labor, and Kadima.Welcome Back, Aryeh Deri
Brent E. Sasley
May 6, 2013
Restoring his own visibility then, he advanced to Marjorie, swiftly freed her.
Three feet above the half-body, the Professor's head had flashed into visibility.The 4-D Doodler
Remember we are only now considering the question of visibility in the design.Wood-Carving
As I said, visibility refraction doesn't work right in their case.Millennium
Everett B. Cole
The morning was bright, and although cold the visibility was excellent.The Stretton Street Affair
William Le Queux
- the condition or fact of being visible
- clarity of vision or relative possibility of seeing
- the range of visionvisibility is 500 yards
Word Origin and History for visibility
c.1400, "condition of being visible," from Late Latin visibilitas (see visible). Meaning "range of vision under given conditions" is from 1914. Sense of "prominence, fame, public attention" is recorded from 1958.