- a temporary resident; visitor; guest.
- a visitor to a place of religious or sight-seeing interest; pilgrim.
- a being believed to come from the spirit world: a ghostly visitant.
- something, as a mood, feeling, emotion, etc., that overtakes a person from time to time: Melancholy is an occasional visitant to all.
- a migratory bird that has come to a place temporarily.
Origin of visitant
Synonyms for visitantSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for visitantvisitor, demon, haunt, bogeyman, bogey, phantasma, poltergeist, specter, wraith, phantom, devil, apparition, spook, shadow, phantasm, spirit, revenant, appearance, soul, shade
Examples from the Web for visitant
Historical Examples of visitant
Amidst this confusion of tongues I take another survey of my visitant.Yankee Gypsies
John Greenleaf Whittier
"I have no objection to a death-bed repentance," observed the visitant.
I shrieked, as I tried to press him against me, to my visitant.The Turn of the Screw
She already regards me as though I were a visitant from the other world.The Fixed Period
The Prairie Falcon is an uncommon winter visitant in Coahuila.Birds from Coahuila, Mexico
Emil K. Urban
- a supernatural being; ghost; apparition
- a visitor or guest, usually from far away
- a pilgrim or tourist
- Also called: visitor a migratory bird that is present in a particular region only at certain timesa summer visitant
- archaic paying a visit; visiting