- of or relating to the Viverridae, a family of small carnivorous mammals including the civets, genets, palm cats, etc.
- a viverrine animal.
Origin of viverrine
Examples from the Web for viverrid
Historical Examples of viverrid
The Mustelid are allied to the Viverrid in their general conformation.The Desert World
The parasites of the civets, ichneumons and their allies, (Viverrid) are of little importance.Parasites
T. Spencer Cobbold
It is classed with the Viverrid, but stands intermediate between them and the cats.Zoology: The Science of Animal Life
Viverrine, vī-ver′in, adj. pertaining to the Viverrid, one of the four families of the luroidea section of Carnivora.
As the animal grows older, the spots run into stripes, and it becomes as clearly banded horizontally as the viverrid.Colouration in Animals and Plants
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Viverridae, a family of small to medium-sized predatory mammals of Eurasia and Africa, including genets, civets and mongooses: order Carnivora (carnivores)
- any animal belonging to the family Viverridae
Word Origin for viverrine
- Any of various mostly small carnivorous mammals of the family Viverridae, having long, slender bodies with short legs and bushy tails. Viverrids include the civets, mongooses, meerkats, and binturong.
- Characteristic of or resembling civets or their kin.