- having no voice; mute.
- uttering no words; silent.
- having an unmusical voice.
- unspoken; unuttered: voiceless sympathy.
- having no vote or right of choice.
- Phonetics. (of a speech sound)
- without voice; unvoiced; surd; aphonic (contrasted with voiced): “p,” “f,” and “s” are voiceless.
- uttered without phonation.
Origin of voiceless
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for voiceless
They were gathered there, Black said, to be a "voice for the voiceless."Capitol Hill's Black Staffers Walk Out to Say ‘Hands Up, Don't Shoot!’
December 11, 2014
He wanted to give a voice to the voiceless, comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable.Obama Administration and Sotloff Family Battle Over Blame for Journalist’s Kidnapping
September 22, 2014
And overwhelmingly, the communities who suffer the most are those who are the most vulnerable and voiceless.A Challenge to New Media Moguls Pierre Omidyar and Jeff Bezos
November 4, 2013
Human-rights movements have traditionally existed to help the voiceless and those without agency gain progressively more rights.Kirsten Powers: I Don’t Stand With Wendy Davis
July 2, 2013
Is giving voice to the voiceless worth less than other work?Hurricane Sandy Anniversary a Reminder of the Power of Volunteers
Jill W. Iscol
April 29, 2013
The suddenness of it all held Mary voiceless for long seconds.Within the Law
I was alone in this voiceless temple of so many wonderful sounds.The First Violin
He again gave his boy that sidelong look and laughed his voiceless laugh.The Downfall
Razumov ran forward unsteadily, with parted, voiceless lips.Under Western Eyes
She was the tender and voiceless siren of this appalling navigator.Falk
- without a voice; mute
- not articulatedvoiceless misery
- lacking a musical voice
- without the power or right to express an opinion
- phonetics articulated without accompanying vibration of the vocal cordsin English (p) is a voiceless consonant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for voiceless
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper