- an apartment above the ground floor in a building that has no elevator.
- a building, especially an apartment house, that has no elevator.
- located above the ground floor in a building that has no elevator.
- having no elevator.
- accessible to pedestrians from the outside of a building: a walk-up teller's window at a bank.
Origin of walk-up
Related Words for walk-uplead-in, suite, tenement, condo, walk-up, flat, residence, cave, accommodation, penthouse, room, joint, pad, lodging, rental, co-op, coop, cooperative, dump
Examples from the Web for walk-up
Historical Examples of walk-up
The house in which Cassy lived was what is agreeably known as a walk-up.
Paliser got out, preceded Cassy to the steps of the walk-up and smiled in her face.
It had been arranged that the fallen star was to come to the walk-up and accompany Cassy to the Splendor.
In the sphere of life to which a walk-up leads, the charts were dotted with but the postman and the corner druggist.
The idea that it would lift him out of the walk-up, out of Harlem and cold veal, was the one excuse for her voyage to Cytherea.
- US and Canadian informal
- a block of flats having no lift
- (as modifier)a walk-up block