adjective, weak·er, weak·est.
IT’S A WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ BONANZA!
Origin of weak
SYNONYMS FOR weak
synonym study for weak
OTHER WORDS FROM weako·ver·weak, adjectiveo·ver·weak·ly, adverbo·ver·weak·ness, noun
Words nearby weak
Example sentences from the Web for weak
A lot of people think females are too weak for the job, but I know that all the men she worked with saw her as one of the guys.
Alas, his soul is willing, but his flesh is weak and he whiffs.After Torture Report, Our Moral Authority As a Nation Is Gone|Nick Gillespie|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The paperwork was spotless: he had died in transit, the conjunction of a weak heart and long trip.
The general rap on him is: reasonably well-intentioned but weak.After the Israel Synagogue Massacre: A New Intifada?|Michael Tomasky|November 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But beyond that point, secrecy creates its own problems: high costs and weak oversight.Is the Pentagon’s $55 Billion Stealth Bomber Too Big a Secret?|Bill Sweetman|September 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Once more it was shown how weak an arm is artillery against an enemy who lies in shelter.The Great Boer War|Arthur Conan Doyle
A few days before, Si, while passing near the hospital, saw a weak convalescent faint and fall.Si Klegg, Book 6 (of 6)|John McElroy
The room was furnished with a bed, a chair that was always threatening to come to pieces and a desk with weak carved legs.Marching Men|Sherwood Anderson
I am not weak; it is only that my heart is sore for those I love.Three Dramas|Bjrnstjerne M. Bjrnson
He would be weak and tired, but he would still be able to travel and find food.Forest Neighbors|William Davenport Hulbert
British Dictionary definitions for weak
- not functioning as well as normalweak eyes
- easily upseta weak stomach
- denoting or belonging to a class of verbs, in certain languages including the Germanic languages, whose conjugation relies on inflectional endings rather than internal vowel gradation, as look, looks, looking, looked
- belonging to any part-of-speech class, in any of various languages, whose inflections follow the more regular of two possible patternsCompare strong (def. 13)
Derived forms of weakweakish, adjectiveweakishly, adverbweakishness, noun
Word Origin for weak
Idioms and Phrases with weak
In addition to the idioms beginning with weak
- weak as a kitten
- weak link
- weak moment, in a
- spirit is willing but the flesh is weak