Origin of mixed
Examples from the Web for well-mixed
Historical Examples of well-mixed
When the mixture is slightly thick and cool, add the fruit, well-mixed.A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband
Louise Bennett Weaver
Fruit: Drain the fruit and heat the juice and water, adding the well-mixed sugar and cornstarch.Quantity Cookery
Fill the trench, and round it up a little with well-mixed soil and fine manure.Soil Culture
J. H. Walden
Not so, however, when a well-mixed and highly attenuated vapour fills the experimental tube.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
The ice and salt, well-mixed, were packed around the freezer.
adjective (well mixed when postpositive)
- having the nature of both a real and a personal action, such as a demand for the return of wrongfully withheld property as well as for damages to compensate for the loss
- having aspects or issues determinable by different persons or bodiesa mixed question of law and fact
- (of a number) consisting of the sum of an integer and a fraction, as 5 1/2
- (of a decimal) consisting of the sum of an integer and a decimal fraction, as 17.43
- (of an algebraic expression) consisting of the sum of a polynomial and a rational fraction, such as 2 x + 4 x ² + 2/3 x
mid-15c., from past participle of mix (v.). Mixed blessing from 1933. Mixed marriage is from 1690s (originally in a religious context; racial sense was in use by 1942 in U.S., though mixed breed in reference to mulattoes is found by 1775). Mixed bag "heterogeneous collection" is from 1936. Mixed up is from 1884 as "confused," from 1862 as "involved."
Mixed drink in the modern liquor sense is recorded by 1868; the thing itself is older; Bartlett (1859) lists sixty names "given to the various compounds or mixtures of spirituous liquors and wines served up in fashionable bar rooms in the United States," all from a single advertisement. The list includes Tippe na Pecco, Moral suasion, Vox populi, Jewett's fancy, Ne plus ultra, Shambro, Virginia fancy, Stone wall, Smasher, Slingflip, Pig and whistle, Cocktail, Phlegm-cutter, Switchel flip, Tip and Ty, Ching-ching, Fiscal agent, Slip ticket, Epicure's punch.