- the western part of the terrestrial globe, including North and South America, their islands, and the surrounding waters.
- that half of the earth traversed in passing westward from the prime meridian to 180° longitude.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- that half of the globe containing the Americas, lying to the west of the Greenwich or another meridian
- the lands contained in this, esp the Americas
- The half of the Earth that includes North America, Central America, and South America, as divided roughly by the 0° and 180° meridians. See more at prime meridian.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.