Idioms about what
- why: What are you doing that for?You want that package now? What for?
- Older Use: Informal. a punishment or scolding: If he stays out late again, his parents are going to give him what for!
Origin of what
usage note for what
Words nearby what
How to use what in a sentence
So it's really a take-what-you-can-get kind of situation with him.‘Scandal’ Review: Olivia Pope Has Lost Her Damn Mind|Kevin Fallon|September 26, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Played in reverse that becomes ‘Here’s me/Here I am/What we have lost/I am the messenger of love.
If this seems like a small, so-what kind of thing to you, I submit two thoughts.South Carolina Republicans Snub Desegregation Judge|Michael Tomasky|April 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
That is, when things are going well, no one feels compelled to spend money on a what-if project.What to Do With the Thousands Displaced by Hurricane Sandy?|Malcolm Jones|November 8, 2012|DAILY BEAST
TV pool asked Romney at least five times whether he would eliminate FEMA as president/what he would do with FEMA.
Coals!what would he do with coals?Toast his cheese with em, and then come back for more.
Ay, murmured the sick woman, relapsing into her former drowsy state, what about her?what aboutI know!
Consequently, while the direction of the what-not-how-now line is definitely fixed, their actual positions remain unestablished.
"Nothing what-ever," she answered, with an urbanity that defied the suggestion of malice.When Valmond Came to Pontiac, Complete|Gilbert Parker
But, brother sinner, pray explain How 'tis that you are not in pain?What power hath work'd a wonder for your toes?The Book of Humorous Verse|Various
British Dictionary definitions for what
- used with a noun in requesting further information about the identity or categorization of somethingwhat job does he do?
- (as pronoun)what is her address?
- (used in indirect questions)does he know what man did this?; tell me what he said
- the (person, thing, persons, or things) thatwe photographed what animals we could see
- (as pronoun)bring me what you've written; come what may
- for what purpose? why?
- informal a punishment or reprimand (esp in the phrase give (a person) what for)
- what would happen if?
- what difference would it make if?
Word Origin for what
usage for what
Other Idioms and Phrases with what
In addition to the idioms beginning with what
- what about
- what do you know
- what do you take me for?
- what for
- what gives
- what goes around comes around
- what have you
- what if
- what in the world
- what is more
- what it takes
- what makes one tick
- what of it?
- what the hell
- what with
- come what may
- for all one is (what it's) worth
- get what's coming to one
- it's (what) a zoo
- just what the doctor ordered
- know the score (what's what)
- left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing
- no matter (what)
- on earth, what
- or what?
- practice what you preach
- sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, what's
- so what
- where's (what's) the beef?
- you know something (you know what)