Words nearby whited
OTHER WORDS FROM whitedun·whit·ed, adjective
Definition for whited (2 of 2)
adjective, whit·er, whit·est.
- white or nearly white clothing, as in tennis whites.
- top-grade white flour.
- the outermost ring of the butt.
- an arrow that hits this portion of the butt.
- the central part of the butt or target, formerly painted white but now painted gold or yellow.
- Archaic. a target painted white.
verb (used with object), whit·ed, whit·ing.
- to make white by leaving blank spaces (often followed by out).
- to whiten (areas of artwork) in retouching preparatory to photoengraving (often followed by out).
- to cover (errors in copy) with a white correction fluid.
- to censor, as by obliterating words or passages with white ink.
Origin of white
OTHER WORDS FROM whitehalf-white, adjectiveun·white, adjective
Examples from the Web for whited
Michael Lewis is out with his newest book on the whited sepulcher that is Wall Street.
The whited coat, it was imagined, would afford a leading proof.Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship and Travels, Vol. I (of 2)|Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Go to church, a whited sepulchre, and pretend that I be a Christian 'ooman?The Soul of Susan Yellam|Horace Annesley Vachell
There is no whitening equal to that of sepulchres whited as they are whited!The Small House at Allington|Anthony Trollope
British Dictionary definitions for whited (1 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for whited (2 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for whited (3 of 3)
- (of coffee or tea) with milk or cream
- (of bread) made with white flour
- extremely clean and white
- informal very pure, honest, and moral
- a white or light-coloured piece or square
- (usually capital) the player playing with such pieces
- the outer ring of the target, having the lowest score
- a shot or arrow hitting this ring
Derived forms of whitewhitely, adverbwhiteness, nounwhitish, adjective
Word Origin for white
Idioms and Phrases with whited
In addition to the idioms beginning with white
- white as a sheet
- white elephant
- white feather
- white flag, show the
- white lie
- white sale
- black and white
- bleed someone white
- great white hope
- show the white feather