- Also called Whitehall Palace. a former palace in central London, England, originally built in the reign of Henry III: execution of Charles I, 1649.
- the main thoroughfare in London, England, between Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament.
- the British government or its policies.
- a city in central Ohio, near Columbus.
- a city in W Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for whitehall
Sniffing Tory conspiracies under every Whitehall bed, ours specially?Iran’s Top Spy Is the Modern-Day Karla, John Le Carré’s Villainous Mastermind
July 2, 2014
It is set in 1540 and some of the action takes place in Whitehall Palace, the one that burned to the ground in 1698.Historical Fiction: A Conversation Between Bruce Holsinger and Nancy Bilyeau
Nancy Bilyeau, Bruce Holsinger
March 30, 2014
Some senior Whitehall sources believed that there was an early “stiffness” between the Queen and Mrs. Thatcher.Margaret Thatcher and Queen Elizabeth’s Complicated Relationship
April 8, 2013
This is why Whitehall brought forward the date of Independence.Why Pakistan's Mohammed Ali Jinnah Was No Nelson Mandela
April 7, 2013
The British government assembled some of the most able bureaucrats in Whitehall to oversee famine relief.Paul Ryan’s Irish Problem
August 18, 2012
Who should come in on the second day but old Captain Whitehall?
However, I had not quite got to the end of Whitehall's visit yet.
"You'll be sorry to hear that Whitehall is not very well," said Turpey.
Have you any objection to my friend Captain Whitehall being present?
"And there is one more thing, Mr. Detective, sir," said Whitehall explosively.
- a street in London stretching from Trafalgar Square to the Houses of Parliament: site of the main government offices
- the British Government or its central administration
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012