- the sale of goods in quantity, as to retailers or jobbers, for resale (opposed to retail).
- of, relating to, or engaged in sale by wholesale.
- extensive; broadly indiscriminate: wholesale discharge of workers.
- in a wholesale way; on wholesale terms: I can get it for you wholesale.
- in large quantities; on a large scale, especially without discrimination: Wild horses were slaughtered wholesale.
- to sell by wholesale.
Origin of wholesale
SynonymsSee more synonyms for wholesale on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for wholesale
To be sure, the election was not an embrace of the GOP platform, but it was a wholesale rejection of Barack Obama.Earth to DNC: Dyspeptic Dad Still Votes, Too
November 11, 2014
Laughing at the wholesale denial of free speech is not the voice of moderation.How America’s Nuclear Deal Sold Out Iran’s Liberals
David Keyes & Ahmad Batebi
December 3, 2013
And most Palestinians are anti-Zionists; would they be wholesale excluded from reporting on the conflict?In Defense Of The New York Times Magazine Intifada Piece
March 19, 2013
In other words, they sell the information on a wholesale basis to other businesses.Why Consumers’ Credit Reports Contain Errors
February 11, 2013
The retail and wholesale sector has cut a million full-time jobs since 2006 while adding more than 500,000 part-time jobs.We're Going to Need a Bigger Raft to Fight the Jobs Crisis
January 18, 2013
His wholesale business has grown enormously, especially since 1860.Cleveland Past and Present
And this, his only article of food, he buys at wholesale, like his robes and undergarments.The Book of Khalid
That's four million, and I should take a royalty of four shillings on wholesale orders.The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
She may not be at liberty to dispose of it in this wholesale manner.The Universal Reciter
“Them terms of retail and wholesale is my own,” said Mr. Gubb.Philo Gubb Correspondence-School Detective
Ellis Parker Butler
- the business of selling goods to retailers in larger quantities than they are sold to final consumers but in smaller quantities than they are purchased from manufacturersCompare retail (def. 1)
- at wholesale
- in large quantities
- at wholesale prices
- of, relating to, or engaged in such business
- made, done, etc, on a large scale or without discrimination
- on a large scale or without discrimination
- to sell (goods) at wholesale
Word Origin and History for wholesale
The sale of merchandise to retailers rather than directly to the public.