- fully awake; with the eyes wide open.
- alert, keen, or knowing: a wide-awake young woman.
- Also called wide-awake hat. a soft, low-crowned felt hat.
- the sooty tern.
Origin of wide-awake
Synonyms for wide-awakeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for wide-awakeactive, alert, attentive, bright, intelligent, lively, quick, ready, sharp, spirited, vigilant, watchful, wired, wide-eyed
Examples from the Web for wide-awake
Historical Examples of wide-awake
You can't hope to slink past a cunning, wide-awake, evil brute like he was.The Shadow-Line
He's the most observing, wide-awake fellow I ever knew since I came up from the South.Pathfinder
By this time Frank was wide-awake, with every sense aroused.Frank Merriwell's Pursuit
Burt L. Standish
Then she sprang from her cosy nest, wide-awake and full of courage.Reels and Spindles
It made them realize that a wide-awake aggregation was in town.Charles Frohman: Manager and Man
Isaac Frederick Marcosson and Daniel Frohman
- fully awake
- keen, alert, or observant
- Also called: wide-awake hat a hat with a low crown and very wide brim