- a withered stalk of any of various grasses.
- any of various long-stalked species of grass.
- any tall, thin person.
- any light or flimsy material or object.
Also especially Scot., winlestrae.
Origin of windlestraw
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for windlestraw
But before I found them I encountered a windlestraw which showed which way blew the wind and gave promise of a very gale.The Jacket (The Star-Rover)
- the dried stalk of any of various grasses
- anything weak or feeble, esp a thin unhealthy person
Old English windelstrēaw, from windel basket, from windan to wind ² + strēaw straw 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012