- an act or instance of tapping telephone or telegraph wires for evidence or other information.
- to obtain (information, evidence, etc.) by tapping telephone or telegraph wires: to wiretap conversations.
- to listen in on by means of a wiretap: to wiretap a telephone; to wiretap a conversation.
- to tap telephone or telegraph wires for evidence, information, etc.
- pertaining to or obtained by wiretap.
Origin of wiretap
Related Words for wiretapcontrol, supervision, scrutiny, examination, vigilance, inspection, care, wiretap, search, inspect, consider, explore, study, probe, question, scrutinize, interrogate, examine, review, poke
Examples from the Web for wiretap
Contemporary Examples of wiretap
After a wiretap at the home of a Civella relative produced devastating evidence of hidden ownership, the FBI moved in.The Ballad of Mitzi Stauffer Briggs, Heiress Who Lost It All in Vegas
John L. Smith
September 30, 2013
Tipped off by the wiretap, federal agents in another incident pulled over a locked freezer truck, loaded with 26 people.The Gangster Matriarch of L.A.
September 13, 2010
After all, to get a FISA judge to grant a warrant, you at least need to know the name of the person you want to wiretap.To Hell With Privacy
December 30, 2009
- to make a connection to a telegraph or telephone wire in order to obtain information secretly