- a woodwind instrument.
- the section of a band or orchestra composed of woodwinds.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for wood
- out of a dangerous, perplexing, or difficult situation; secure; safe.
- no longer in precarious health or critical condition; out of danger and recovering.
Origin of wood1
synonym study for wood
OTHER WORDS FROM woodwoodless, adjective
Words nearby wood
Definition for wood (2 of 3)
Origin of wood2
Definition for wood (3 of 3)
Example sentences from the Web for wood
A worn couch sitting squarely before a wood veneer wall, accented by the head of a deer.#Setinthestreet: Your Street Corner Is Their Art Project|James Joiner|December 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Upstairs, in the living room, splintered logs of hemlock cackled and spat from inside the wood stove.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Conestoga Wood Specialties Corporation A Pennsylvania-based wood cabinet and specialty products manufacturer.
You can practically smell the sugar maples and wood violets.
Therefore in our view we need to talk about our wood management before any other factor in the maturation of The Macallan.
The board a has for its base a heavy block of wood b, upon which two upright pins e e, are fixed.A Dictionary of Arts, Manufactures and Mines|Andrew Ure
The harp can be made of wood, covered with gold paper, and strung with yellow cord.Home Pastimes; or Tableaux Vivants|James H. Head
The stillness of the wood quieted him finally, as it had always done, and he remembered his old friends the Greelys.The Boy from Hollow Hut|Isla May Mullins
In Saugor the marriage-post is often a four-sided wooden frame or a pillar with four pieces of wood suspended from it.
Hearing the report of our guns, the flock flew towards the wood for shelter.Snow Shoes and Canoes|William H. G. Kingston
British Dictionary definitions for wood (1 of 3)
- a long-shafted club with a broad wooden or metal head, used for driving: numbered from 1 to 7 according to size, angle of face, etc
- (as modifier)a wood shot
- casks, barrels, etc, made of wood
- from the wood (of a beverage) from a wooden container rather than a metal or glass one