Origin of write-down
Words nearby write-down
Definition for write down (2 of 2)
verb (used with object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
verb (used without object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
- to set down in writing; record; note.
- to direct one's writing to a less intelligent reader or audience: He writes down to the public.
- to vote for (a candidate not listed on the ballot) by writing his or her name on the ballot.
- to include in or add to a text by writing: Do not write in corrections on the galley.
- to request something by mail: If interested, please write in for details.
- to cancel an entry in an account, as an unpaid and uncollectable debt.
- to regard as worthless, lost, obsolete, etc.; decide to forget: to write off their bad experience.
- to amortize: The new equipment was written off in three years.
- to put into writing.
- to write in full form; state completely.
- to exhaust the capacity or resources of by excessive writing: He's just another author who has written himself out.
- to put into writing, especially in full detail: Write up a report.
- to present to public notice in a written description or account.
- Accounting. to make an excessive valuation of (an asset).
Origin of write
OTHER WORDS FROM writemis·write, verb (used with object), mis·wrote, mis·writ·ten, mis·writ·ing.
British Dictionary definitions for write down (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for write down (2 of 2)
verb writes, writing, wrote or written
Derived forms of writewritable, adjective
Word Origin for write
Idioms and Phrases with write down (1 of 2)
Set down in writing, record, as in Please write down your new address and phone number. [Late 1500s]
Reduce in rank, value, or price, as in They've written down their assets. [Late 1800s]
Write in a simple or condescending style, as in These science texts are written down for high-school students. [Second half of 1800s]
Idioms and Phrases with write down (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with write
- write down
- write in
- write off
- write one's own ticket
- write out
- write up
- nothing to write home about
Also see underwrote.