- (usually initial capital letter) Also Excellence. a title of honor given to certain high officials, as governors, ambassadors, and Roman Catholic bishops and archbishops (preceded by his, your, etc.).
- (usually initial capital letter) a person so entitled.
- (usually initial capital letter) the title of the governor general of Canada while in office.
- Usually excellencies. excellent qualities or features.
Origin of excellency
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (usually preceded by Your, His, or Her) a title used to address or refer to a high-ranking official, such as an ambassador or governor
- RC Church a title of bishops and archbishops in many non-English-speaking countries
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"high rank," c.1200, from Latin excellentia (see excellence); as a title of honor it dates from early 14c.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper