- sleep (often used with grab, catch, etc.): to grab some z's before dinner.
Origin of z's
First recorded in 1960–65; from the conventional use of a series of z's to represent snoring
[zee or, esp. British, zed; Archaic iz-erd]
- the 26th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
- any spoken sound represented by the letter Z or z, as in zero, zigzag, or buzzer.
- something having the shape of a Z.
- a written or printed representation of the letter Z or z.
- a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter Z or z.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018