- to become unconscious from alcohol or narcotic drugs; pass out.
- to fall soundly asleep or relax completely: I've got to go home and zonk out.
- to stupefy, as by alcohol or narcotic drugs.
- to sedate or anesthetize: If the pain gets too bad the doctors will zonk you.
- to strike or defeat soundly; knock out; clobber.
Origin of zonk
1945–50; of expressive orig.; -onk perhaps copies conk2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
1950, "to hit hard;" 1968, "to put into a stupor;" slang term, of echoic origin.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper