- Botany, Mycology. an asexual spore produced by certain algae and some fungi, capable of moving about by means of flagella.
- Zoology. any of the minute motile flagelliform or ameboid bodies that issue from the sporocyst of certain protozoans.
Origin of zoospore
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an asexual spore of some algae and fungi that moves by means of flagella
- one of several spores produced in a saclike body (sporocyst) by some parasitic protozoans
- A motile flagellated spore that serves as a means of asexual reproduction among certain algae, fungi, and protoctists.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.