BACK TO autocracy
autocracy vs. oligarchy
[ aw-tok-ruh-see ]
- government in which one person has uncontrolled or unlimited authority over others; the government or power of an absolute monarch.
- a nation, state, or community ruled by an autocrat.
- unlimited authority, power, or influence of one person in any group.
[ ol-i-gahr-kee ]
- a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.
- a state or organization so ruled.
- the persons or class so ruling.