BACK TO solicitor general
solicitor general vs. attorney general
- a law officer who maintains the rights of the state in suits affecting the public interest, next in rank to the attorney general.
- the chief legal officer in some states.
- the law officer of the U.S. government next below the Attorney General, having charge of appeals, as to the Supreme Court.
- the chief law officer of a country or state and head of its legal department. Abbreviation: att. gen.
- the head of the U.S. Department of Justice: a member of the president's cabinet. Abbreviation: Atty. Gen.