- a person or thing that ascends or causes ascension.
- the part of a lowercase letter, as b, d, f, h, that rises above x-height.
- a letter rising above x-height, as b, d, f, h, etc.
Origin of ascender
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ascender
The head of a stem (especially of an ascender) should be slightly wider than the foot (fig. 83).Writing & Illuminating, & Lettering
Before reaching the half Ascender made a spurt and was third, but he soon died away, Drake Carter taking third place.History of the Kentucky Derby, 1875-1921</p>
John Lawrence O'Connor
- the part of certain lower-case letters, such as b or h, that extends above the body of the letter
- any letter having such a part
- a person or thing that ascends
- another word for ascendeur
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012