- a person or device that translates information into a code.
- a person who assigns codes to objects or data: The medical coder submitted the patient's test results to the insurance company.
- a person who writes computer code; a computer programmer.
Origin of coder
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for coder
“I worked as a coder to put myself through college,” Chandra explains.Vikram Chandra Is A Novelist Who's Obsessed With Writing Computer Code
August 29, 2014
“I am not that computer programmer,” Shields admits, without being more specific about what dream machine his coder might invent.Is Fiction Worthless? David Shields Think So
February 8, 2013
Mark was the coder of the group, and also really the driving force behind a lot of the brainstorming and conversation.The Truth Behind 'The Social Network'
Rebecca Davis O'Brien
September 8, 2010
What did a coder or code book, matter at the present moment?The White Moll
Frank L. Packard
- a person or thing that codes
- electronics a device for transforming normal signals into a coded form
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012