Try Our Apps


Avoid these words. Seriously.


[verb kawr-uh-geyt, kor-; adjective kawr-uh-git, -geyt, kor-] /verb ˈkɔr əˌgeɪt, ˈkɒr-; adjective ˈkɔr ə gɪt, -ˌgeɪt, ˈkɒr-/
verb (used with object), corrugated, corrugating.
to draw or bend into folds or alternate furrows and ridges.
to wrinkle, as the skin or face.
Western U.S. to make irrigation ditches in (a field).
verb (used without object), corrugated, corrugating.
to become corrugated; undergo corrugation.
corrugated; wrinkled; furrowed.
Origin of corrugate
late Middle English
1375-1425; late Middle English < Latin corrūgātus past participle of corrūgāre, equivalent to cor- cor- + rūg(āre) to wrinkle + -ātus -ate1
Related forms
corrugated, adjective
corrugator, noun
uncorrugated, adjective Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018.
Cite This Source
Examples from the Web for corrugated
Contemporary Examples
Historical Examples
  • The corrugated dome of the Nissen hut was wavering and swaying.

  • The transparency of this sentence is not unlike the transparency of corrugated glass.

    The Verbalist Thomas Embly Osmun, (AKA Alfred Ayres)
  • How long you been keepin' corrugated stocks from goin' below par?

    Torchy Sewell Ford
  • Manages to hang on with the corrugated,230 though, don't he?

    Torchy Sewell Ford
  • Say, Tuttle, you know you can't work any 'phony deal on the corrugated.

    Torchy Sewell Ford
British Dictionary definitions for corrugated


verb (ˈkɒrʊˌɡeɪt)
(usually transitive) to fold or be folded into alternate furrows and ridges
adjective (ˈkɒrʊɡɪt; -ˌɡeɪt)
folded into furrows and ridges; wrinkled
Derived Forms
corrugation, noun
Word Origin
C18: from Latin corrūgāre, from rūga a wrinkle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Cite This Source
Word Origin and History for corrugated

1620s, "wrinkled" (of skin, etc.), past participle adjective from corrugate. Meaning "bent into curves or folds" (of iron, cardboard, etc., for elasticity and strength) is from 1853.



1620s; implied earlier as a past participle adjective (early 15c.), from Latin corrugatus, past participle of corrugare "to wrinkle very much," from com-, intensive prefix (see com-), + rugare "to wrinkle," of unknown origin.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

Word of the Day

Nearby words for corrugated

Word Value for corrugated

Scrabble Words With Friends