- a city in NW Ethiopia, N of Lake Tana: a former capital.
- a former kingdom in E Africa: now a province in NW Ethiopia. Capital: Gondar.
- a member of an agricultural, Amharic-speaking Christian people of central Ethiopia descended from Semites who began conquering the land in the sixth century b.c.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for gondar
Next day the army of 30,000 men marched in triumph into Gondar.
Finally the sheik furnishes me with an escort, and I return to Gondar.French and Oriental Love in a Harem
Bruce inquired if she was at Gondar, and was answered, "No; she is at Koscam."
But we have ample stock of rare silks and rich spices of Araby and Gondar.The Great Mogul
This circumstance occasioned some mirth at the court of Gondar.Life Of Johnson, Volume 5
- a city in NW Ethiopia: capital of Ethiopia from the 17th century until 1868. Pop: 191 000 (2005 est)
- a region of NW Ethiopia: formerly a kingdom
- an inhabitant of the former kingdom of Amhara
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012